Be A Boss
Happy National Boss’s Day!
How often have you felt you were observing your life as it is happening? Are you easily dragged down by others? Do you float through the day without direction or goals? All too often, this is how people start in the morning and end in the evening. It’s time to take control again. It’s time to be the boss of your life. Here are 5 ways you can start today!
First, keep in mind that there are things in your life that you cannot directly control. There will be people, situations, and environments you cannot change. However, you can always change you and your outlook.
- Attitude: This is something you will always have direct control over. Even if there is a situation that seems impossible, or a person you just cannot handle, you always have the chance to see it through new eyes. This is easier said than done most times, but is key to being in control of your emotions, thoughts, and habits. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” – Maya Angelo You are in control of your destiny and outlook.
- Health: Not only is your mental health of tremendous importance, so is your physical health. When you feel good, you look good, when you look good, you feel confident, when you are confident, you are better prepared to be the captain of your own ship. Drink more water throughout the day. Zoom into a salad instead of a drive thru. Prepare your meals ahead of time so when your stomach starts to take control, the choice to be healthy has already been made. Try walking in the morning and going to bed 30 minutes earlier. “A healthy outside starts from the inside.” -Robert Urich You are in control of your schedule, you are in control of your body and your lifestyle.
- Relationships: We are surrounded by people daily. Some people we invite into our lives, some are just there whether we like it or not. Deep Patel gives great advice in his article, 11 Ways Successful People Deal with People They Don’t Like, when he says, “Never let a toxic person limit your joy or control the source of your self-satisfaction. Don’t let snide comments or anxiety override you, or let someone’s opinion darken your day. Stop looking to others to acknowledge your accomplishments or vindicate your achievements. Instead, turn your focus inward. Take a moment to reflect on yourself. Perhaps what you don’t like in another person is something you also struggle with yourself. Understanding where your frustration comes from can help diminish its power over you. And remember, you have ultimate control over yourself and your mental state. Stop comparing yourself to others, and always keep in mind that your self-worth must come from within.” You are your own champion, you are your own captain.
- Work: For some, work is a necessary evil. For others, it is their whole life. No matter how you feel about work, there are things you can do to have a healthy relationship with your work. The Undercover Recruiter shares several helpful tips such as planning your time at work, keeping your job in perspective, and doing your part to make your work environment pleasant. It is critical to keep a good balance between work and personal. When you pack up at the end of your day and head home, leave your work at work. When you arrive in your office to start your day, leave your home life at home. Balance is key to being in control of your life.
- Invest in Yourself: Life can quickly become overwhelming when you let it control you. When you take hold of the reigns and make the calls, be sure you give yourself the time you need to enjoy each day! Work, health, and your relationships can sometimes be exhausting. When you take time to do what you truly enjoy and develop yourself, you will have an added sense of fulfillment and control. You will have the confidence and energy to do what you need to. “It’s never a waste of time or money to invest in yourself, no matter the source. True wealth begins inwards and emits its light outward into everything else, including the people you surround yourself with.” – Will.I.Am
If you want to be the boss of your life, you have to act like the boss. With the right attitude and determination, you can always be in control of your life.